We all know Scouting is a strong and vibrant force in communities across the nation. Our Scouts are eager to serve in countless capacities, whether through simple daily turns or large-scale Eagle projects. Through the Adopt-A-School program, participating Scouts partner with school administrators to offer volunteer services that meet their school’s needs. The Adopt-A-School program is the perfect way for packs, troops, and crews to make a positive impact, while also fostering relationships with schools in their communities.
Why You Should Participate in Adopt-A-School
- Adopt-A-School provides a lasting bond between Scouts and their immediate community and between Scouting and the community as a whole.
- Since the recommended commitment spans one year, units may also count Adopt-A-School service hours toward the Journey to Excellence program.
- When Scouts serve their schools, their Scouting experience is positively intertwined with their school, thus strengthening the commitment to both – all while helping to meet the needs of local schools.
How to Participate in Adopt-A-School
- Engage the contact person with the strongest existing connection to the school to speak with the principal who may involve teachers and the PTA.
- Ask what your school’s specific service needs are first, and then check out these volunteer projects for an idea of how Scouts can serve in additional ways.
- Commit at least a year of service to the school to help build strong, sustained bonds.
- Chronicle progress and success by capturing photos of service projects throughout the year to highlight the progress of Adopt-A-School efforts and share experiences with the community to reinforce the positive impact of Scouting.
Preorder Your Adopt-A-School Patch Now!
The Adopt-A-School program wouldn’t be complete without a cool patch, would it? Patches will be officially available very soon, but you can get on the list now to preorder. We’ll send an update in the Scouting Wire newsletter once they are available for purchase.
For more information on the Adopt-A-School program visit http://adoptaschool.scouting.org/. There you’ll find a helpful FAQ and project ideas to get you started. Stay tuned through the next few months to learn the latest updates to the program, including next month’s update on the Outstanding Educator Award.
Does your school participate in the Adopt-A-School program? Tell us how you get involved in your communities in the comments below!