The BSA has a proven track record of shaping young people into leaders of outstanding character – people who understand the meaning of accountability and the importance of servant leadership. On #GivingTuesday, December 3, 2019, we’re asking our communities to help us continue that record by supporting Scouting at the local level, and we’ve created a toolbox of resources to bolster your local efforts.
What Is #GivingTuesday?
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration. Observed on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving.
Your #GivingTuesday Toolkit
First, share this post to ensure everyone on your Scouting team is up to speed with what’s available. Then, head over to the Brand Center and download all of this year’s goodies designed specifically for local councils.
Social Media Outreach
Be sure to use hashtags #GivingTuesday and #ScoutMeIn, in all of your campaign communications and social media posts. To see how your council can utilize these hashtags to promote the big day in your community, check out some suggested tweets and Facebook posts below. Councils are encouraged to send out tweets and posts in the days leading up to and especially on #GivingTuesday.
- Save the date! Dec. 3 is #GivingTuesday! Support [Local Council Name] and make an impact on young people in your community! #ScoutMeIn
- Today is #GivingTuesday! Help support all the good that local Scouting does to build young people of character. #ScoutMeIn [local council giving page link]
- Join us on this #GivingTuesday to support Scouts who are making a difference in our communities! #ScoutMeIn [local council giving page link]
- Thank you for making a difference by supporting Scouting on this #GivingTuesday! #ScoutMeIn [local council giving page link]
Sample Facebook Posts
- This Dec. 3 is #GivingTuesday! Support [Local Council Name] and make an impact on youth in your community! #ScoutMeIn www.beascout.org
- When you support Scouting in [Your Geography] on this #GivingTuesday, you’re helping build the next generation of leaders of character. #ScoutMeIn [local council giving page link]
- For #GivingTuesday, people have joined together to support [Local Council Name]. Thank you for your support to make Scouting possible in our community! #ScoutMeIn [local council giving page link]
- By supporting [Local Council Name] on this #GivingTuesday, you help young people grow to become citizens who are trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. Thank you! #ScoutMeIn [local council giving page link]
Visual Assets and Email Templates
Your #GivingTuesday toolkit wouldn’t be complete without the visuals! Use the #GivingTuesday images located in the BSA Brand Center in your local council social media and communications efforts. Pair them up with some of the suggested social media messages above or craft your own combinations to encourage support for your local council on this important day of giving.
We’ve also created dedicated #GivingTuesday e-mail templates you can use to reach out to key audiences locally. Those templates can be found in the #GivingTuesday email folder on the BSA Brand Center.
The Donations Page
Finally, while councils are encouraged to share their own local giving links directly in their #GivingTuesday communications, the BSA national giving website also contains an option to search for local giving opportunities.