New Member Coordinator
Sustaining strong membership in a unit depends partly on reaching new audiences to invite them to join the unit and partly on engaging new members and their families so that they feel welcomed and want to stay. The role of the New Member Coordinator is to ensure that both keys to success take place.
National Commissioner Ellie Morrison greets us to explain why the New Member Coordinator role is so important:
- Welcome logo: New Member Coordinators need to be identifiable! Wear this logo with pride on an activity shirt, on a hat or a vest or in some cases, a pin on a field uniform.
- New Member logo in EPS
- New Member Coordinator logo in EPS format for embroideries
What’s a New Member Coordinator? & How Is It Helpful?
The New Member Coordinator (NMC) position has been designed to:
- Be a FUN and engaging position.
- Form relationships with new members and their families.
- Fit every type of unit, every age level and every program.
- Be recruited and supported by key unit leadership.
- Be provided with training both online and face to face.
- Be mentored by the District Membership Chair and become part of the District Membership team.
- Use a team approach by encouraging more than one NMC in a unit, allowing them to tailor their work to individual interests/expertise, as well as to recognize the particular needs of the unit.
- Be visible and easily identifiable at unit gatherings by their Welcomingsmiles and their BSA “Welcome” logo that they display and wear on an activity shirt, on a hat or vest or in some cases, a pin on a field uniform.
The benefits of having a New Member Coordinator can be substantial!
Training for New Member Coordinators
The Welcome training video on my.Scouting is sufficient for you to get started in your exciting new role. (See the Welcome Course Instructions) Additional detailed training on Sharing the Benefits of Scouting, Coordinating Recruitment, and the Joining and Welcoming Process is available in the BSA Members LearnCenter, using the same process for access.
Visit the course catalog and find the module listed under Program Learning Plans:
Be a CHAMPION for NMC: Share It! Shape It! Own It!
Help the New Member Coordinator position be a game-changer for your unit, your district, your council. Each of the informational PowerPoints can be downloaded and tailored for local use at council or district events, conferences, trainings, Roundtables, or unit meetings.
New Member Coordinator Presentation for Council & District
Introduction Presentation for Packs
Introduction Presentation for Troops
NMC Role in FAMILY SCOUTING & OTHER RESOURCES
- June 2017 CubCast, Presenting the New Member Coordinator.
- You Can Champion NMC
- Family Scouting Success for Packs
- Family Scouting Success for Troops
- Notes on Engaging Millennial Parents in Scouting (using the New Member Coordinator position)
- Welcoming Millennial Parents
- Unit, District and Council Incentives Information
HELP & IDEA SHARING